Friday, August 24, 2007

W@W Races 2-4


I finally get back to updating this blog I started way back when..... OK. Let's get a wrap on the Wednesday Series, so I'll summarize races 2-4.


Race #2, 6/27/07: Well after flatting on the final lap the week prior I was able to finish the race without changing a tube in the tire. I finished 23rd out of 48 competitors this week. I was also pretty darn close to my target finish time of 60 minutes, crossing the line in 60:39. this is the official time, but I think these guys screwed up the start time, so the calculation is off by a minute or so. It's been to long since this race for me to remember what the computer on my bike gave me as a time. Anyway, not a bad race and almost in the points(needed to get to 20th place).


Race #3, 7/18/07: Jim Casey pinged me in the afternoon to swing by his office to pick up the sponsor supplied beer, ODBC, for the after races festivities. Of course now I have to take care of the beer, find the ice, and get somebody to watch it while I get ready for my race, while the 1st race is finishing up. Problemed solved when I get there and find out Tom just finished building up his new Niner SS, and wasn't racing today. I get warmed up and decide that I'm not taking items to repair a flat today. The stars were going to let me drink early tonight. Races gets started, I'm hammering up the switchbacks on the far backside of the course, when I notice the back end getting a little squirrely. DAMN, another flat!!! I've got to walk back the the car from the far back side of the park, about a mile or more. Another DNF.


Race #4, 7/28/07: The finale of the W@W series. I've now figured out the the rim tape supplied by the manufacturer sucked, hence all the flats. I've finally solved the problem. At the start line, there's a last minute announcement that there is a small re-route of the course because of BEES! With all the dry weather the ground dwelling bees have been a nuisance. This is the second time, and not the last, for a course re-route to avoid the bees. I finish the race today a little better than in Race #2, crossing the line in 21st spot. I tried to go out as hard a possible, which I did, but I blew up a little towards the end of lap #2. I recovered for the 3rd lap, but still could not crack the top 20. Maybe next year I'll garner some points!


No comments: