Friday, June 22, 2007

W@W June 20, 2007



The local MTB race season got underway on Wednesday at Wakefield Park in Annadale. It was quite beautiful day, with perfect weather and a reasonably cool temp for this time of year with low humidity :). I have stepped up to the Sport class this year, so there's some pretty fast guys in this class, as compared to the Beginner class which I raced last season. My pre-race plan was to get out to a good start, and try to ride pretty smooth for the first half of lap #1. I also had targeted a 20 minute per lap time, which I thought would bring me in mid pack @ one hour for total ride time. I was doing great and on track for achieving my goal. On lap #1, I came in just under 20 minutes when I crossed the timing table. As lap #2 started, the racers were now pretty spread out, so I was able to hammer a little harder on this lap in the sections I had to just cruise along with the traffic on the first lap. At this point, things were going pretty good. I crossed the timing line on lap #2 at roughly 40 minutes, but I don't remember looking down at my watch, with a few guys from the team cheering me. These guys had already completed the early race, and were enjoying nice cold ODBC brews! I start the third and final lap and I'm mentally preparing to let it hang out. There a few guys that are within sight and I’m focused on pulling them in, and passing, before the finish. About half-way through the last lap, my front tire begins to wash out in the turns. I hear the dreaded sound of air coming out of my tire. Damn!!! I pull off the trail to change the tube. I didn't put the tire levers in my jersey, and of course struggled in the panic to get the tire off the rim. After about 7 minutes I get everything back together and I start rolling again. I just want to finish up and get to the beverages that are awaiting my arrival! I let a few on the Expert guys around me on the way in. My stopwatch, which I stopped while changing the tube, reads 1:01 as I cross the line. I think my total time was ~1:08. I finished 35 out of 60 racers. I think I might have been near the top 20 sans the flat. I'm still awaiting the final times to be posted on Potomac Velo's website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brandon,
Thanks for posting on your blog. The only thing I can say is wow, I'm impressed. You're racing in the sport class and it sounds like you are doing really well. Had it not been for the flat, you would have done down right amazing. I'm just impressed you can fix a flat in 7 minutes, would have taken me about 30. Keep us posted on future races.
-Kerch